Thursday, April 26, 2007

Quality of Philippine Officials

Last April 14 was the start of voting overseas for positions in the Senate and the party-list as well. Here in Alkhobar, KSA the voting center is at International Philippine School in Alkhobar (IPSA). In Precinct 4, I was the second certified voter who cast my vote and I find it very convenience when voting during working days due to less people at the center. Of course, having selected the candidates which I believe could uplift the country's law making body, is a fullfillment as a Filipino citizen.

However, latest news about the country regarding election campaign is so sad. Justice Secretary Raul Gonzales was so proud as interviewed on television promising barangay heads in Iloilo with P10,000 if they can deliver 12-0 in favor of the Team Unity candidates for the Senate which are of course from the administration. Comments left and right regarding Gonzales pledge came in depending on whose camp came from. I don't mind on the observations from political parties who participated in this mid-term election. But for neutral camp coming from us, OFW's who prefer to work hard in a foreign land, those pronouncements are unethical, shameful, selfish, degrading, and a grave violation of election laws. I guess the justice secretary had forgotten that he's an alter ego of the president and whatever he gonna uttered in any medium, will reflect the position of the government. Granting that the money is from his personal account, having bestowed the promise to barangay officials would paint an image of vote buying no matter how he will expain it's purpose whether it's for the barangay's benefit considering that we are in a campaign period. The worst thing is that the promise was delivered by a person who takes care of justice in our country. Do we Filipinos really deserve this kind of quality on our government officials? Are the blood sacrificed by our heroes will be going to drain? How long are we as a nation can accept this kind of political culture? Is there brightness coming ahead for the next generation? Sometimes, I'd agree with a co-employee here in my company who argued with us during discussions, that the only way to stop corruption in our country is to kill all its citizens with age 6 years and above. The assertion is just to humor us but personally it makes sense.

On my next post, I will surely be writing in Cebu since from the end of this month, I have to enjoy my annual vacation. Of course, it's nice to spend my work leave with my family. Surely, I would experience the festive atmosphere during campaign period until the election day on May 14. But before that, I'm looking forward to attend my hometown's (Pinamungajan, Cebu) annual fiesta on May 3 & 4.

No comments: